Sunday, September 13, 2009

New Favorite Patisserie and Type

The other day I had to take pictures of glass ceilings for research and ended up in the Winter Garden place at the Financial District.

As I stumbled around, I passed by a directory that said "Patisserie." I immediately went that direction (because I'm a sugar addict). So I stumbled upon Financier Patisserie.

Financier Patisserie

Financier Patisserie Store

I had or-gay-zms looking at the variety of selections at such a decent unexpected price. I dont know, I thought that place would be pricy but it wasnt. I found more expensive things in chelsea or the lower east side. (Surprisingly)

I decided that if I had to get one thing (because I finished a pint of ice cream for breakfast), I would get a pistachio macaroon.

Financier Patisserie Macaron

And OHMYGODZ! It was such a steal at 2 dollars. It was the size of 3 macaroons. Even if it had the butter cream type of center, it was the best one I've had. The meringue that sandwiched it borderlines cookie consistency, but retains its nice light texture with a very perfect tint of density. I was extremely happy, to say the least.

I was also happy that it took me more than 2 bites to consume the whole thing. I feel like this place should lick madeline patisseries' ass because they charge 2.25 for a cookie a quarter of that size.

--

I'm taking Michael Kelly for Type I in the ComD department in Pratt. He's pretty popular and will grade you a C in your first semester. Its almost a fact, no matter "how good you are." This weeks homework helped me reassess my definition of "good type" and "bad type."

But here are some interesting type links:

Typographic Posters
Hauser Lacour An interesting editorial design company. Love their stuff.
Simon C Page Another Graphic Designer
Design the News Information Aesthetics dude.

Productivity level = 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment