Friday, November 13, 2009

Panya is Back and random things I eat

New Panya
I dont know if people know but apparently, that popular Japanese bakery next to Sunrise Market is back. Its now bigger, better and has guys behind the counter instead of girls. (I dont know if you guys noticed that.)
New Panya
Anyway, I forgot to take pictures of the inside but they are also serving onigiri and bento from sunrise market at a really nice price. They also have a kitchen there that serves sandwiches and a "traditional japanese breakfast."
Panya: Green Tea Cookie Custard
I decided to celebrate this even by buying a Green Tea Custard Cookie. Apparently I cant find a recipe of this online. I'm too lazy to pay another 2.75 for this one.
Panya: Green Tea Cookie Custard
I've been to Panya before. What can I say about it? I think its so-so. I think their baked goods are okay. I've tried the strawberry shortcake and some of the savory stuff like the yakisoba pan. I used to drink their Green Tea Au Lait a lot until I realized it was just green tea and milk and I can easily make it at home. I've never tried their bread though but I kind of always wanted too because it looked so tall and fluffy. But I guys cafe Zaiya is their competitor which is around the corner along Cooper Square.

But as for New Panya? I think its a lot better. They have nice substantial meals that would definitely beat old Jasmart (when jasmart used to have a cafeteria).


....


Choice Market's Toffee Date Cake

Choice Market: Toffee Date Cake

the reason why I got this was because of the dates. How was it? incredibly sweet, dense and on the moist chewy side. What you would expect of toffee. It would be excellent if I drank black coffee but alas, I dont even drink coffee. (but I'll eat coffee ice cream.)

Would I eat it again? Not really. Now that i've tried it, I feel ok. Actually, it tasted like something I used to eat when I was a kid. Something like butterscotch brownies. But think... filipino butterscotch brownies. I've never tasted butterscotch in america yet.

....

Fort Greene Market: Apple Cider Donuts

Fort Greene Market: Apple Cider Donuts

I bought apple cider donuts from a place near madison square park the other day and, man, it was bullshit compared to this one. First off, that place charged a dollar while this one charged 50 cents. Secondly, the people here were a lot nicer. But I actually kind of like it but I wish the flavor was stronger. Both of them, I had to really look for the flavor and they both tasted more like donuts than apple cider donuts.

So since that is the case, I recommend getting the one coated in cinnamon sugar at Fort Greene every saturday. :D I can imagine Shake Shack crumbling this up and mixing it into spiced vanilla custard. yum.

....

Whole Foods Market: Buttermilk Scone
Whole Foods: Buttermilk scones

I'm not from america, so I generally dont really know how scones work. If its to be eaten alone or with tea or coffee or dipped or was it biscotti that I was thinking of? (<-- grammar fail!)

Anyway, I bought this just because I was curious to this "buttermilk" thing that is prevalent in many american baked goods recipes that are reminiscent of their grandmothers. I dont know what to make of it. I liked the outsides buttery crumbly goodness though and its its almost consistent inside out. But it doesnt really have its own distinctive flavor.

Would I get it again? No. But I have a feeling it would taste good for breakfast in replacement for biscuits. Poured with milk and sprinkled with some sugar. =9

....

Red Mango: Pumpkin Fro Yo

Red Mango: Seasonal Pumpkin Fro yo

So I left it at the sample. it wasnt good enough to purchase the whole thing. (I dont want to spend extra money). The pumpkin flavor of Phileo's Yogurt was stronger and tastier. However, Red Mango is doing a promotion for these seasonal flavors by giving away free crush graham cracker topping with it.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I saw that when I went to Sunrise Market. I honestly think most of the bento in Sunrise is unappetizing...but then again, I go there after class when its like 9:30pm so...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure after 9:30pm things get really iffy. lol. But its just 5.50 per bento!

    ReplyDelete